What are the rules for driving in France after Brexit deal?

Boris Johnson: Brexit deal is ‘glad tidings of great joy’

Brexit is one step closer to completion, with a deal between the UK and EU now set in stone. The agreed treaty sets the groundwork for how the governments interact, and also how UK and EU residents move. Brits will now find travel to EU member states requires new considerations, among them driving permission.

What are the rules for driving in France?

Most EU states (and some non-EU) are part of the Schengen Area, which negates the need for passports or checkpoints.

The area allows people in one member state to drive into another without documentation.

They would also have allowed Brits to drive in France without issue.

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

But Conservatives celebrated removing Brits from the Schengen Area earlier this year, abolishing a collection of rights, among them free movement.

So, after December 31, 2020, people need to abide by the EU’s “third country” requirements.

Those driving from the UK to EU will need new permits before entering the bloc.

Officials require Brits to possess an International Driving Permit, available from the post office for £5.50.

The permits are a multi-language document which translate driving licenses.

The EU requires driving permits of each non-member state, a rule which could also come to member states in 2021.

Permit applicants must be 18 years or older with a valid driving license.

The EU does not allow provisional license holders to apply.

Car tax changes may see petrol and diesel models issued new charges – INSIGHT
Tyre failures are up by three percent in 2020 – ANALYSIS
Google Maps Street View: ‘Batmobile’ spotted in outside famous house – PICTURES

They will also want a “green card”, a document which proves correct car insurance.

Green cards are free, but require people to apply with their insurer before they travel.

Travellers should make their application at least 16 days before departure.

Those who don’t will need to buy insurance on entry, at a premium compared to what they could get in the UK.

Brits will also need the following three documents:

A GB sticker – regardless of any nationality markers on a number plate

A Certificate of Motor Insurance

A vehicle log book (V5C)

Source: Read Full Article